Monday, February 28, 2011

The Journey to My First Marathon begins.....


James had an idea that since I actually do have people that follow my blog about my working out, weight loss and running (I can't believe that I'm that interesting or inspiring but I am flattered that people actually do read it and get motivated by my story) that I keep an updated
(that will be different) blog about my journey for training for my first Full Marathon. So I figured why not. I thought about making a whole other blog page for it...but then realized I don't have the time or energy for that so I will use this one :) !!

So as many of you know. I started a 16 week training program but then realized that the first several weeks were just repeats of what I have been doing for the past 1+ years so I signed up for another 6 week boot-camp at the gym which is 2 days/week and a 15K race to keep me going. I figured by the end of it I will be ready to get into the "real" training. So.... I have this week and next week left of boot-camp but I realized that I only have 14 weeks until the race so really only have 12 weeks left to do "REAL" training because the last 2 wks before the race will be very minimum workouts.

Saturday I did my 15K race which got me ready to start my more intense training. I beat my time by 5 minutes from last year when I ran the exact same race so I was pretty proud of myself. Had I not been sick for the previous 2 weeks and still had a lot of congestion I probably would have done even better but there is always next year. I think 5 minutes off my time is pretty good though. So, with that under my belt I started really training as of today so it's a good day to start my journey to my marathon blog. I know I can run at least 13.1 miles..a 1/2 marathon since I did that in January. Now it's time to start training to be able to run the other 13.1......sigh :)!!!

So today Monday Feb. 28th even though I was sore from the race on Saturday I ran 4 miles. Not at a super fast pace but in about 35 minutes. Slower than I would have had I felt my best but a good warm-up for the week. I would have liked to have done 6 but I'm still getting over a cold, my legs were really sore today, and I train with my personal trainer tomorrow and have boot-camp, so tomorrow is a big workout day for me. Before the race on Sat. I hadn't ran more than 14 miles in the past 2 weeks. I have been sick and in Baltimore for work and just couldn't get running to fit into my schedule. So that is what I did today. I still train once a week with a Personal Trainer and do Kickboxing every other week in addition to running. That gives me the cross training I need.

Hopefully this will help others that are wanting to either lose weight, start running or just start doing something to see how someone who has been there and started from scratch and I mean scratch did it and still does it. Until 3 years ago I NEVER ran. I started with it taking me a good 30 minutes to do a mile to now I can run long races (15K, 1/2 marathon's) at around 8:45-9:00 minute miles. I know not super fast for some runners but pretty good for me...I think.
So at least weekly hopefully several times a week I will update this on what I'm doing as the countdown to my marathon is ON...12 weeks of training to go :) !!!

1 comment:

  1. Alisa,
    I love that you're blogging about this!!! I know how you feel going from scratch to distance races. I did the same thing and I love to hear how others do it. It's nice to read about other's success and struggles so you don't feel alone. You will never know who you might inspire.
    Heather Poe-Roth

    ReplyDelete