Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas


I think one of the reasons I enjoy Christmas so much (minus the shopping) is due to the wonderful memories I have and the traditions that my family had as I was growing up. I can't wait to someday (soon hopefully) do most of those same traditions with my family. James and I do a few of them now and we have also started our own. I just wanted to write some of the memories I had growing up which started with my brothers and I making paper chains to count down the days until Christmas. I loved doing that and hanging them around our room. We also watched all those movies that are considered "timeless" now (that's scary) like Rudolph and Frosty. We always went to the mall to see Santa and ride the train. Going shopping for each other at a store that was meant for little kids in the mall and our elementary school also had a little shop where I always bought something for myself. The shopping habits start so young! We always begged my mom to do cutout sugar cookies. I know now she didn't like all the work ( I still beg her when I'm in) but we always did them. She also would make gingerbread houses. I love that to this day our family even though it has gotten bigger with wives, girlfriends, and husbands, all every Christmas Eve even if we have to take multiple cars, carivan around to look at Christmas lights. My dad always guides the tour. When we were little we did that went home to put out cookies and sugar for the reindeer and then went to bed. We always went out to get a real Christmas tree. My parents never complained (at least to us) about the getting it, hauling it in the house, decorating it, etc. Now that I do it myself I complain every year. What a pain to go through all of that for a few weeks. I love it though, when it's done. I like sitting in our family room now (in my house) with just the Christmas tree lights on. It reminds me of Christmas Eve at our house when I was little. I love this season for all the good memories, the ones being made every year, and the reason why we really celebrate this season. For the birth of our Savior and what that night meant for each of us.

1 comment:

  1. What great Christmas traditions and memories! I'm glad that you have such a great family to share the holidays with. Are you coming to WV?

    ReplyDelete